Friday, January 18, 2008

Friction and Flame

Perhaps in an instant the friction was born
The bottom of my jeans and the top of
the carseat rendered me the way Walt Whitman felt about the green grass
The thought was cradled, then ultimatley found its way to the trash can
Some things are not fit for the graceful dance of pen talk, so they
leave the lips in simple syllables and they float above
and somewhere in time, they are lost
Gone, with the unpredictable travels of the wind
like a friend who promised you a forever
But what I did not realize is, forever is a couple years at best
Nothing more, nothing less...its all just cheap talk and a really cool handshake

And at twenty-two I've been born a few times over and I know,
that life is more then well on its way
and I can only count on seconds
not days, not hours , not mintues
So I've got to tell the truth about some things that Ive been holding close to my heart

Ive cheated on a lover
I lied about how I wrecked my parents car, I didn't hit a cat, I was drunk off my ass
And I used to hate you, mother
I stole three dollars and used it without a second thought
And at one point, I did not believe in God
I said words like I love you, because they sounded really pretty and
I broke a lot of hearts
But
at twenty-two I've made friction and flame
And now I stand tall on solid ground
And I'm wise enough to say I'm sorry for everything I've done
but I'm even more sorry it took this long for it to all come out



No comments: